Monday, October 27, 2008

Out of the mouth of babes.....

I went to the gym t his morning because I had an appointment with a personal trainer.  When I went to pick up the kids from 'tot drop' ( I LOVE the Wyckoff Y)  the woman who was working there asked me "do you go to church".  I frankly didn't think much of the question I had rushed my kids out of God's Little Singers in order to make it there on time so I thought that maybe that had come up with Kaity.  I just answered "yes".   She asked "what church do you go to"  to which I responded "Hawthorne Gospel Church on 208".  She told me that they had been watching "Sleeping Beauty" and the witch had come on the mirror and Kaity  had told her "she is NOT being nice and God tells us that we are always supposed to be nice to everyone".    How cool is that?  My 3 1/2 year old is unabashedly sharing what God's word says when she finds things in life that contradict it.   WHY do we feel the need to lose that?   I can tell you that it once again brought to mind Matthew 18:3 where Jesus says "Truly I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (ESV)  
   My heart almost aches with how much I hope that my children never do.  We had a guest speaker come to our church last Sunday to speak about missions.   Tod Ahrend.  He was AMAZING.  I grew up as a missionary kid and this sermon was the best I have ever heard on missions.  I don't know that you could away unchanged after that message.  One of the things that got to me the most was him talking about his wife putting their year and a half old daughter to bed and having family devotion time with her first.  He gave us a glimpse into what the prayer time looked like.  That 'glimpse' was an impassioned prayer "the world is waiting for you'  the mother prayed about her daughter.  She prayed that her daughter would 'fall in love' with muslim women and be willing to 'live behind the veil' in order to reach them.   How many of us would be 'willing' to see our children go off and do that?  Let alone be praying for them since BIRTH that that would be the life that they would choose because reaching people for the Lord is THAT important?  I can tell you that my prayers for Kaity HAVE changed since hearing that sermon.  In complete honestly I can tell you that I am not nearly ready to pray that her life would lead her 'behind the veil'.  Maybe someday I'll get there, she may get there without me.  But I have prayed every day since October 19th that she would have a passion for winning souls for Christ and telling them about God.  I'd really like to think that this morning was God's way of telling me He's hearing my prayers.
  Here is a link to a youtube video of Tod Ahrend.  It's not the message he gave at HGC but it's still powerful and still shows his passion.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Kaity! How precious. Their innocence is inspiring.

bookwormlgi said...

Oh to have Faith like that of a child! Great job raising your kids bathed in prayer!

Tanya said...

That was a tremendously powerful message. I would love to hear him speak again. Oh, and very cool about Kaity! :)