Friday, February 12, 2010

*ouch*



I run. I don't know if I would say "I'm a runner". I'm slow, I don't race. I run. It relieves my stress, works out the kinks. It is what makes the world make sense. Sometimes when I am running I think things through. Sometimes when I am running outside rather than on a treadmill in a crowded gym I will actually talk things through out loud. Most of the time I don't. I focus on each footstep, I listen to my breathing. I listen to big hair 80's rock and roll. Doesn't matter, the effect is the same. At the end of a good run I feel like superwoman, and I'm relaxed and ready to take on the world.

About four weeks ago I hurt myself. Kind of a stupid rookie mistake. I did a hard sprint workout on a Wednesday followed by an 8 mile run on a Thurs. My legs were sore after the sprint workout. That is to be expected. My legs were KILLING me after the 8 miler, again not entirely unexpected. WHat was unexpected was that the pain wouldn't go away. I was sure that a couple of days off running would help. Any other pain that my running has caused in the last 10 years has gone away with a couple of days cross training. This didn't.

Three weeks of not running later, I was at my wits end and decided to see a doctor. Turns out I have shin splints...or strained a muscle...or something. Who cares? Looks I am looking at at least another couple of weeks of not running. I know those of you who don't run are thinking; "whats the big deal? do something else for exercise". Those of you who do run....thank you for understanding.
You have probably heard the quote "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional". I have felt pain before. Now I am suffering.

No comments: