Saturday, June 7, 2008





"I never had any other desire so strong, and so like to covetousness, as that one which I have had always, that I might be master at last of a small house and a large Garden."
-Abraham Cowley, The Garden, 1666

I think that I have finally, mostly, finished my planting in my garden this year.  It was a fairly larger project than other years because this year as part of what we did we built a retaining wall around the garden and down the side of the house.  Now I am just trying to convince Timmy that we need to redo the lawn in FRONT of the garden.   
I  know there are those of you laughing at me for calling my 2'x10' space  a garden.  I understand that it is basically a really large flower box...but I love it. There is truly something undeniably just perfect about digging in the dirt, planting things and then having the pleasure of watching them grow.  
God Almighty first planted a garden: and, indeed it is the purest of human pleasure. 
-Francis Bacon
So  now when the dishes REALLY need to get done ...I go outside and weed...or when the laundry is piling up so that we have no clean clothes to wear...I go outside and water.  I think there really is something to the saying that "God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.".    Blast those rainy days...of course the rain doesn't touch my hanging plants and flower boxes..so I do still have to take some time for those! ;-) 

No comments: